CMMG’s new MK4 RECCE Rifle for 2014
Missouri-based rifle manufacturer CMMG recently announced the introduction of their version of the MK4 RECCE rifle for 2014. The RECCE rifle concept was originally developed by Navy SEAL Team armorers in hopes to improve accuracy, portability and weight over the standard issued M4 carbine.
“We are getting back to our core roots by providing quality rifles with excellent features at an affordable price,” said Jordan Bowles, Lead Product Designer at CMMG.
The new rifle will be available in 5.56 NATO and 300 AAC Blackout and features a 16” medium weighted tapered profile 416 stainless steel barrel with a 1:7” twist. The main core behind the new RECCE is a forged 7075-T6 M4 upper and AR-15 lower receiver.
“I chose the 1:7 twist because it will allow most shooters to shoot a wide range of bullet types and still maintain accuracy,” said Bowles. He and his team managed to keep the new rifle light and compact at 6.5 pounds unloaded and only 7.5 pounds loaded up with 30 rounds of 5.56. The rifle comes in at 33” in its collapsed position and 36.375” extended.
The rifle boasts pretty impressive features, including CMMG’s own RKM14 Keymod free-float hand guard and their Nitride coated 4140 Steel SV muzzle brake. In addition to the proprietary CMMG parts, the company partnered with industry leader Magpul to provide the MOE pistol grip, stock, trigger guard and 30-round PMAG. Note that the partnership does not just end there; another feature is the Geissele Automatics SSA 2-stage trigger.
“We have worked with CMMG in the past,’ says William Geissele, founder of the eponymous Geissele Automatics. “They build quality firearms. Their choice of the SSA trigger reflects the combat/patrol duty focus of their Recce Rifle.”
With all of these features, bells and whistles, the fully equipped MK4 RECCE (RCE) rifles comes in at $1,399.95 MSRP, though you may see a “street price” somewhere in the neighborhood of $1250.
- Caliber: 5.56x45mm NATO / .300 AAC Blackout
- Barrel: 16″ medium weight tapered profile, 416 stainless steel, 1:7” twist
- Muzzle: CMMG SV muzzle brake, Threaded ½-28
- Hand Guard: CMMG RKM14 KeyMod hand guard
- Upper Receiver: Forged 7075-T6 AL M4
- Lower Receiver: Forged 7075-T6 AL AR15
- Trigger: Geissele Automatics SSA 2-stage trigger
- Furniture: Magpul MOE Pistol Grip & CTR butt stock
- Weight: 6.5 pounds (unloaded), 7.5 pounds (loaded with 30 round PMAG)
- Length: 33 inches (stock collapsed), 36 3/8 inches (stock extended)
Bowles expects the rifle to begin shipping in the beginning of 2014 to dealers around the U.S.